Tips and Tricks

In response to a post further down in regards to bush mechanics, what are some makeshift emergency repairs that you have done or seen done to a vehicle, and how affective was it.

I have seen a coke can wrapped around an exhaust pipe with wire to fix a large hole. This stayed there for a few years because it sealed so well.

I have also seen a trailer with a branch in place of a wheel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 18:42

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 18:42
When I 1st left school, A mate and I went for a tour around outback Qld. We had an XC falcon ute and put 2 spares on board.

Only prob was the spares were off an XY falcon so the hub dia on the rim was smaller then the hub on the ute.

It took us 6 hours of filing with a rat tail file but we eventually got one to fit.

It fitted well with no vibration and got us out of trouble and able to get a town.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 429772

Reply By: 98TAJ - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:32

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:32
Out bush hunting with my Dad when I was young, Distinctly remeber Dad and his mate filling the flat tyre with grass and an old blanket,we had blown a tyre and the spare copped a stake as well hense the repair job. Slow trip home but it got us the 80Klms with out any damage to to the rim. 40K/hr top speed and dodgy tyre fitted to the rear of the vehicle. had the old nissan in 4wd as the rear lost traction on some of the hills.
AnswerID: 429777

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:43

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:43
Back in the early 70's, the Vic alps took its toll twice on my Fiat Sports.
Once, the rotor arm on the distributor arced over after I fitted a high-energy ingnition system and I was caught out up in the mountains with no spark. I scraped out the burnt section, put araldite over the arc track and there it remained for the next 20 years.
On another occasion in the mountains, I put a rock thru the fuel tank. Did a temp fix with a plug of wood, tape and putty, which got me into town. I later fixed it with a decent dob of araldite poked up into the hole. To keep the araldite in place while it set, I stuck a band-aid over it. On the next service, the mech commented on the bandaid, as it looked like that was all that was used to fix the tank. The araldite stayed there for about 15 years before I found a cheap replacement tank from a wrecker.
Sold the old girl after 34 years (sob!)
Gerry
AnswerID: 429781

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:53

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 19:53
SDG.

Had the pleasure to be involved in a fix on the CSR in 2008.
See picks and blog.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 429784

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 20:23

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 20:23
Pretty sure it was our old fj40, certain the fuel tank was under the drivers seat, memory is failing as it was 30 years or more ago, somehow we holed the tank and fixed it with soap.
It certainly sealed well, I think dad left it there for a few months.
AnswerID: 429789

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 08:51

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 08:51
Yeah the old fj40' had the tank under the seat my dad had one.
FollowupID: 700635

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 20:23

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 20:23
back in about 2003 I was travelling on the private Hamersley Rail road (with a permit) from Karatha to Tom Price, I stopped to photograph the huge Iron Ore train, reputed to be the longest train in the world, as it was passing and looked down at the oil leaking out under the front of the vehicle.
It was coming out from a hole in my sump.
Image Could Not Be Found
I had thrown up a stone into the sump, right beside the sump plug, it was still stuck there when I looked.
I had spare sump plug washers, but no way of welding up the hole in the sump if I removed the stone, the oil would all be gone in a few minutes anyway and I was many hours from anywhere with no properties on the private railway road.

A young Aboriginal kid in a 4wd ute come and stopped to see what was wrong, when I showed him, he said not to worry about it as he will put some "metal putty" in the hole around the stone, it would be set solid in less than an hour.
He even offered me some oil to refill the sump, I said I had oil, he would not even take any money for the "metal putty" he used and left after he had climbed underneath the sump and fixed everything for me, took him all of 5 minutes and saved me hours.

The "metal putty" and the stone stayed in place for at least another year before I removed the sump and had the hole welded closed.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 429790

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 23:40

Thursday, Sep 09, 2010 at 23:40
Similar thing happened to me on the Oodnadatta track. Came down hard through a creek crossing and smashed a hole in the alloy sump.

Used a piece of corrugated iron, belted flat with a hammer and then shaped around the sump with the ball peen end of the hammer to fit over the hole.

Lots of silastic and some tex screws later, and we were on our way.

Another time, broke an engine mount out Beltana way. Jacked up the engine and wired up the broken engine mount to a star dropper that I placed from strut tower to strut tower. Couldn't shut the bonnet all the way down, but it got us back to Adelaide OK.
FollowupID: 700606

Reply By: Member - dave e (QLD) - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 07:50

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 07:50
i used to drive overland safari trucks thru east and central africa about 15 years ago
we were in the western corridor of the serengeti n.p in tanzania,its the remote part that tourists dont normally use,but we had just crossed lake victoria from uganda and its like coming in the back door but about 2 days drive from even the smallest of village,anyway here we were,20 backpackers from all over the world in the back and the engine siezed, [no racq in africa]we carried loads of spares because we had to be totally self sufficient,so set about looking into it,pulled the head off to find that we had dropped no"4 inlet valve and it had destroyed the piston, bore and the head,we were totally on our own, hadnt seen anyone except for the normal serengeti animals,zebra,wildabeast,lions hyenas etc etc
i decided to take out the piston all together ,and i cut up a tin can into a long strip
and along with some rubber to help seal, i wrapped it around and around the journal on the crackshaft,then put as many hose clamps as i could on it,it doesnt have to completly seal just stop the oil pressure from dumping,we put the sump head and all other bits back on,ran the injector line for that cylinder into a drink bottle,we crossed our fingers,and by now the batteries were flat,so my backpackers set about push starting my now 5 cylinder 11 ton bedford 4wd truck,and bugger me but she started and ran, didnt idle to well but with revs up you could hardly notice,we had to stop every so often to empty the catch bottle,we then continued on our way and it stayed like that till we got back to mombasa kenya,about 3000 kms.
the whole process took about 2 days and we didnt see another person,
man that was an experience,not just the fix but being out there with all those animals,we had crews of rock gatherers and throwers to keep the hyenas away they would circle us,and just stare making the odd sounding laugh that there known for,,,,,,,,,SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A LONG STORY,there is so much more to it,,,maybe we should have a section for camping stories,
hope you like
dave
AnswerID: 429831

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:11

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:11
After recently splitting a CV joint rubber boot I'm now a dab hand with canvas, gaffer tape and cable ties. Worked a treat.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 429851

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:04

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:04
An old remedy ,but tried & true. I fixed the hole in the fuel tank of my diesel 504
by blending the dust off the tyre rim with soap to make a putty & it worked fine.
Didnt even have to drain the tank. When I got home I removed the patch, put in
a tek & patched over it with the same stuff...lasted another 300k. Wouldnt fix the
blown piston, but I suppose 532k wasnt a bad effort.
Many years before that I had a very tired motor in a 403 Peugeot & no money to
fix. I connected a piece of plastic hose from the oil filler cap on the tappet cover
to the air intake hose betwwen the filter & carby...reduced the crank case pressure so that it no longer blew the oil out...lasted another year or so.
....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 429858

Sponsored Links